Wholesome Granola Muffin Bites

If you want to support what I’m doing with this blog, just follow any of the product links and order whatever you want off of Amazon at no additional cost to you.  That’s it and I’ll get a little bonus.  Thanks so much for clicking!


These hearty muffins are the perfect healthy weekend treat.  I like to bake something special for us to eat on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but when I do, we often find we're starving well before lunchtime.

That's not the case with these tasty muffin bites.  They're extremely dense and have great staying power, while still feeling like a baked treat.

I like to fill the muffin cups only partially full because I'd rather pop several of these bites into my mouth at one sitting (I feel like I'm getting more food), but you could easily turn them into larger muffins, as well.  Plus, I like getting to use all 24 of my adorable silicone baking cups.  It just makes me happy to crowd them all in together on one baking sheet before I slide them into the oven.

Another trick I use is to bake them the night before, while the oven is still hot from our Friday pizza.  This way, I'm saving energy by using an already-hot oven and I don't have to do anything but pull them out of the fridge to enjoy the next morning!  

I love it when I can be frugal and lazy at the same time.

When you make these yourself, consider how much sugar you like to use.  We don't have very sweet teeth, so I just drizzled a little honey into my mixture (it was probably about a Tablespoon), but you might want to use up to 3/4 cup of sugar to start with, then work your way down.

Also, I used a combination of rolled oats and rye flakes in this recipe (just because I like the variety), but you could absolutely use all oats.  I'm even thinking about mixing rolled and steel cut oats together the next time I make this.

Don't be afraid to play around with this recipe.  It's an easy one to try different options with!

What You Need (Makes 2 dozen muffin bites):


1 stick melted butter

1 Tablespoon honey (or preferred sugar, up to 3/4 cup)

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk (I used almond)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1 Tablespoon baking powder (see how to make your own here)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup rye flakes (you could also just use 1/2 cup more of oats)

1/2 cup add-ins (dried berries, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or other fruit)


What You Do:


1.  Mix the butter, honey, eggs, and milk in a bowl.



2.  Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in another bowl.



3.  Add dry ingredients to wet, mixing just until everything is moist.

4.  Stir in oats, rye flakes, and add-ins until just combined.

I used dried blueberries as an add-in this time.
Batter will be thick.

5.  Divide batter among 24 silicone baking cups (would probably fill 12 muffin cups or 24 mini-muffin cups).

6.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. 



What would you use as an add-in to these muffins?  I'd love to hear - leave a comment or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com.

Linked up with Thrifty Thursdays at Living Well Spending Less,
 Yes Works for Me at We are THAT Family,
Kitchen Fun & Crafty at Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons,
I'm Loving it at Tidy Mom   
Creative Ways at Posed Perfection
Weekend Potluck at Frugal Family Favorites